July 2, 1971
Looking east from the Western Maryland's "Ohio Pyle" station we see the bridge over the Youghiogheny River with the Mill Run Road (Pennsylvania Route 381) bridge over the river visible below at right. This portion of the Western Maryland from Cumberland, Maryland to Connellsville, Pennsylvania was completed in 1912, giving the road the shortest route between Baltimore and the Pittsburgh area.
On June 11, 1973 the Baltimore & Ohio, which by then owned the WM and was itself under Chesapeake & Ohio control, applied for permission to abandon most of the WM's main line. In 1975 the segment from Rockwood to Ohiopyle was dismantled along with numerous other segments of the road. Today the railroad grade and bridge is part of a trail, the Great Allegheny Passage.
This page posted 8/1/2018; revised 5/1/2019. Text and photo ©2018 Lamont Downs.