Wheeling & Lake Erie [Norfolk & Western]
August 28, 1970
The Wheeling & Lake Erie (later merged into the Nickel Plate Road in 1949, which became part of the Norfolk & Western in 1964) entered Cleveland, Ohio from the southeast, ultimately crossing the Cuyahoga River on this massive lift bridge to interchange with the Erie at Literary Street Yard. On the opposite bank the River Terminal parallels the river below the W&LE bridge; the immense Republic Steel plant is in the background. This view is from the Clark Avenue bridge looking south.
This page posted 3/1/2018. Text and photo ©2018 Lamont Downs.