Chicago, South Shore & South Bend
Michigan City, Indiana
June 17, 1972
These three units were part of a block of six 3000 hp ex-New York Central locomotives acquired between 1955 and 1958. After rebuilding in the road's own Michigan City shops, units like no. 701 pictured here enabled retirement of the remaining steeple-cab locomotives still in use from the Samuel Insull era.
Last updated 3/28/2018. Text and photo ©2018 Lamont Downs.