Chicago, South Shore & South Bend
Hammond, Indiana (Hohman Avenue Station)
June 17, 1972
A bit of a crowd has gathered at the South Shore's Hohman Avenue passenger station, ready to board the approaching eastbound train for Michigan City and South Bend, Indiana. Typically run in multiple, these cars were originally built in 1926 with a length of 60 feet. Due to increasing traffic during World War II the need for more capacity (and lack of funds to buy new cars) resulted in a program to rebuild the cars by adding an additional 17½ feet to each car, a program which continued until 1951. The resulting 36 higher-capacity cars were used for the longer runs to South Bend.
This page posted 3/28/2018. Text and photo ©2018 Lamont Downs.