Wabash [Norfolk & Western]
May 25, 1975
This imposing bridge over the Mississippi River at one time marked the easternmost end of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad via ownership of the Hannibal & Central Missouri Railroad; the Wabash leased it along with the line from Hannibal to Moberly in 1906, finally purchasing the bridge and line outright in 1944. As can be inferred from the low clearance, this is a moveable bridge, with the swing span starting just past the plate girders at right.
Last updated 5/1/2018. Text and photo ©2018 Lamont Downs.