Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville
Fonda, New York
June 5, 1976
Gloversville, New York, founded in 1853, was widely known for just one thing: gloves, naturally. It was at one time called the "Glove Capital of the Nation," with over two hundred glove manufacturers active in the region.
The Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad began life as an interurban line, running from Gloversville to the Mohawk River, where it paralleled the New York Central to Amsterdam and Schenectady. With the slow decline of the glove industry it dropped passenger service in 1938 and gradually cut back freight service to Fonda, where it interchanged with the New York Central. The line was owned by Delaware Otsego from 1974 to 1984 and finally abandoned in that year.
Here we see the south end of the FJ&G, with the (rather rusty) interchange track with the Central at the far left. PJ&G no. 21 waits patiently for its next assignment.
Last updated 2/1/2018. Text and photo ©2018 Lamont Downs.