Baltimore & Ohio
December 30, 1971
Taken from Girard's Liberty Street Bridge looking north, this view is of is one of those "funnels" in which multiple railroads run side by side to gain access to a major industrial area (in this case, Youngstown, Ohio). On the far left is the Pennsylvania Railroad's Erie & Ashtabula Branch (by now Penn Central). In the center is the Baltimore & Ohio's Lake Subdivision, which until the 1905 construction of the Girard-Ravenna cutoff was part of the railroad's Pittsburgh & Western mainline. Ahead, at De Forest Junction, the B&O's Lake Subdivision heads north to Lake Erie and the Newton Falls Subdivision continues east to rejoin the B&O mainline. On the right is the Erie's Cleveland & Mahoning line serving the steel mills in Warren, Niles and Youngstown, Ohio and Sharon, Pennsylvania. The B&O line is descending as it approaches the camera and will shortly tunnel under the Pennsylvania's line to connect with the B&O's main line at Ohio Junction.
This page posted 9/1/2017. Text and photo ©2017 Lamont Downs.