Delaware & Hudson
Riparius, New York
June 2, 1976
Another look at the Delaware & Hudson station at Riparius (now Riverside), New York, this time looking south towards Saratoga Springs. The grade crossing in the distance is for New York State Route 8; the upper Hudson River would be just behind the dwelling on the right.
As a matter of historical interest, the portion of this line from Saratoga Springs to North Creek was originally built in 1871 by Thomas C. Durant, one of the original promoters (and a major league loose cannon) of the Union Pacific; for the sordid details see Maury Klein's Union Pacific. The portion from North Creek to the mine at Tahawus was added later.
This page posted 1/1/2019. Text and photo ©2019 Lamont Downs.